Standing an impressive 100 feet high, the Column of Marcus Aurelius was built as a Roman victory monument and stands in what is now called the Piazza Colonna, situated in what would have been the northern boundary of Ancient Rome.
The original date of construction is unknown, but there are inscriptions of the column throughout the region that promote the idea that the construction was completed, at the very latest, by 193 AD. Most scholars believe that the construction of the column may have started directly after the Roman victories over a number of their northern rivals.
Parallel to this idea are the intricate carvings on the column that work in a spiral fashion and tlel the stories of victories, war and conquest. The details show images of men, horses, women and the destruction of certain villages. By the 15th century, the statue of Marcus Aurelius atop the column had already deteriorated. Thus, in 1589, a restoration was done by Domenico Fontana, placing nearly 10 feet of it underground. The remodeling also meant that a bronze statue of St Paul was placed where Marcus Aurelius once stood.
The Column of Marcus Aurelius is in the Piazza Colonna on the northern end of Ancient Rome along Via del Corso. The plaza isn't directly served by the metro, but the Barberini stop is nearby. There are also a number of buses that serve the area, such as the N6, N25, 81 and 117.