The National Gallery of Victoria houses one of Australia's most impressive collections of international art. Known as the NGV, it's Australia's oldest and largest art gallery, with origins stretching back to 1861. Recently revamped, the gallery has a permanent collection and hosts blockbuster touring exhibits.
The NGV's collection of European art runs from early Renaissance masterpieces to works by Rembrandt, Rubens, Picasso and beyond. You’ll also find furniture, artifacts, textiles, ceramics, lithographs, etchings, photography and fashion. Architecturally, the building is famous for its stained-glass ceiling, and the glass walls running with water in the foyer.
The NGV's collection is split into two locations – the international collection is held in NGV International on St Kilda Road, while the gallery's collection of Australian art is held in Federation Square at the Ian Potter Centre, also known as NGV Australia.
NGV International is a short walk along St Kilda Road from Flinders Street Station and the city center. Trams also run here regularly throughout the day. Admission to the gallery and its collection is free, but fees apply to visit touring exhibits.