Tour César is a dungeon tower built in the late 1100s upon the orders of Henri 1st the count of Champagne. The tower, which is the only known square-based octagonal dungeon tower, used to be part of a larger fortress developed by the English army during the Hundred Years’ War siege of Provins. The tower was also used as a watchtower and belfry; out of the six bells it used to have, only one remains.
César Tower has been a French historic monument since 1846. It is now a museum. Inside, it is possible to catch a glimpse of the everyday life in Provins eight centuries ago.
The tower is located on Rue de la Pie in Provins, France. It can be reached by train from Paris’ Gare de l’Est, and then on foot from the train station in just 20 minutes via rue Fourtier Masson. It can also be reached by car in one hour via routes A4, N4, and D231. Opening hours vary greatly throughout the year. Entry cost €4.30 per adult and €2.80 per child.