The Graz Town Hall, also known as the Rathaus, was completed at the end of the 19th century, replacing two earlier town halls that stood in the same spot on Graz’s Main Square as early as 1550. The new hall stands four stories tall with an Old German style façade once highlighted by a series of statues that depict prominent Austrians and the four allegories, art, science, industry and commerce. The statues were removed in the early 20th century and later replaced with copies. In the inner courtyard, two houses extend into the design of the building; the owners famously refused to move when the new hall was built.
Inside the Town Hall, highlights for visitors include a painting depicting the Town Hall over time, a brass Styrian panther, a large mural of Graz in 1635, portraits of past Graz mayors, coffered ceilings and a tiled stove on the second floor and the chandelier, 19th century clock and intricately-designed ceilings in the elegant assembly hall.
The Graz Town Hall stands tall on the Graz Main Square (Hauptplatz) and can easily be reached on foot from most of the Old Town, or by tram to the Hauptplatz/Congress stop.