It’s impossible to miss Cobh Cathedral, or St Colman’s Cathedral, with its striking neo-Gothic façade and imposing clock tower looming over the colorful harbor of Cobh. The cathedral is the historic highlight of the seafront town, built in 1867 by Edward Welby Pugin and George Ashlin, and taking almost half a century to complete.
Today, the cathedral remains in remarkable condition, with notable features including its 100-meter high spire and Ireland’s only church carillon, made up of 42 bells, the biggest of which weighs an incredible 3,440kg.
Cobh Cathedral is located on Cathedral Place in Cobh and is open daily from 8am to 6pm (May to October) or 5pm (November to April). Admission is free, but donations are encouraged.