The name for Budapest’s second largest concert hall translates to “Place of Merriment,” a pleasant, classically designed structure along the Pest side of the Danube River. Constructed in the mid 19th century, it was built to replace a concert hall that stood in its place until it was destroyed in the War of Independence. The hall standing now was also damaged during World War II, though it underwent extensive renovations to restore the building to its original Romantic style design.
The Vigadó’s stage is primarily home to classical music and the Hungarian State Folk Ensemble, a group of dancers alongside a folk band and 14-person Gypsy band. The group regularly performs shows featuring traditional Hungarian music and dance. It’s also used extensively as an ornate ballroom for events, with art exhibitions also held in its main gallery. Statues of important Hungarian figures, as well as the Hungarian coat of arms, can be seen on the hall’s exterior.
Located on the eastern bank of the Danube, a ticket to one of the performances is needed to view the interior of the main hall. Otherwise, guided tours are given daily for HUF 1500 (in Hungarian) and HUF 2900 (in other languages.) Parking is available along the street Apáczai Csere János utca or in nearby garages. You can also get there by tram line 2 and metro M1/M2/M3, stopping at Vigadó tér.