Basilica di Santa Chiara Tours

The Basilica di Santa Chiara in Assisi is dedicated to Saint Clare of Assisi, the founder of the Order of Poor Ladies, today known as the Order of Saint Clare. After she passed away in 1260, Saint Clare’s remains were transferred to the church and buried under the high altar. Her tomb was discovered again in 1850 and eventually, her skeleton was moved to a shrine in a newly built crypt of the basilica. It remains on display today in the east end of the crypt.

The exterior of the basilica is notable for its horizontal stripes of pink and white stone and its campanile, which is the tallest in Assisi. Inside, the walls of the dimly lit nave are now white, although they were covered in frescoes until the 17th century. Elsewhere in the church, frescoes dating to the 13th and 14th centuries still remain. To the south of the nave is a small chapel that holds the 12th century crucifix that is said to have spoken to Saint Francis of Assisi. The high altar is surrounded by a colonnade of 12 polygonal columns that date to the 15th century.

Practical Info

The Basilica di Santa Chiara is located across from the Piazza Santa Chiara between Via Fonti di Moiano and Via Borgo Aretino in the center of Assisi. The church is likely within walking distance of many Assisi hotels, but it also accessible by Bus B, which stops nearby on the Via San Gabriele Dell ‘Addolorata.
Location
Address: Piazza Santa Chiara 1, Assisi, Italy
Time
Hours: Daily 7 a.m. to noon and 2 p.m. to sunset
Read More

8 Tours and Tickets









Recommended for Assisi


Phone
Having trouble booking online?
(888) 651-9785
Call (888) 651-9785